DEADLINE EXTENDED: Call for Papers for 2022 AGM of the Jane Austen Society of North America
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen’s first published novel, has captivated readers and intrigued critics for over 200 years. JASNA’s Victoria, British Columbia Region invites proposals for breakout sessions at the 2022 Annual General Meeting.
While proposals on any aspect of the novel are welcome, the conference’s location suggests some potential areas you may wish to explore. As the City of Gardens is both the capital of British Columbia and possesses a small-town feel, you may be inspired to consider the concept of home and the contrasts between city and country in Sense and Sensibility.
Victoria lies on unceded traditional First Nations territories. Displacement, dispossession, empire, and colonialism have shaped the island’s history, and the conference organizers invite you to explore how Austen addressed these themes in the novel. Potential breakout presenters may also wish to address Austen’s writing technique, historical and cultural contexts, and creative and critical responses to the novel.
Other themes worthy of consideration include, but are by no means limited to, the following:
- Wealth and competence
- Leisure and occupation
- Privacy, intimacy, and secrecy
- Modes of masculinity
- Competition within and between the sexes
- Duty, morality, and conscience
JASNA Victoria welcomes traditional lecture formats but also encourages presentations that incorporate audience participation. Breakout sessions will be 40 minutes in length, followed by a question-and-answer session.Submission Instructions
We select intriguing speakers from academia and a wide variety of other professional backgrounds. As the AGM is JASNA’s premier event, we seek speakers who not only have demonstrated expertise in their subject areas, but have experience presenting their findings in a lively and engaging manner.
The following submission materials are required:
- A cover letter including your name, JASNA Region, any college or university affiliation you may have, your mailing and e-mail addresses, phone number(s), and a brief description of your background (100 words max.) as it pertains to your ability to speak authoritatively on your chosen topic. Please let us know if you have been a speaker at a previous AGM, JASNA regional meetings, or other conferences.
- A one-page abstract of your breakout session. Describe your presentation, noting what about it will be new or different to a JASNA audience. AV equipment will be available, and the use of visuals, where appropriate, is encouraged. Please specify whether you will use AV equipment.
Proposals will be considered from JASNA members and non-members alike; however, speakers must be members at the time of conference registration. Information about membership is available at www.jasna.org/join, and information on past and upcoming AGMs is available at http://jasna.org/conferences-events/agms/. JASNA’s journals, which contain essay versions of many talks originally presented at AGMs, can be found at http://jasna.org/publications/ (many, but not all, articles are accessible online).
Please submit proposals with the information described above to Alison Dacia Brown at email@example.com. The deadline for submittals is December 15, 2021.
Selections will be announced in early 2022.
Page copyright © 2022 AGM, JASNA Victoria Region. All rights reserved.